No person or organ in the Republic of Türkiye can enjoy the power of the State if its source is not derived from the Constitution. Sovereignty belongs to the nation without any reservation or condition and is used through competent organs in compliance with the principles set forth in the Constitution. The legislative power is used by the Grand National Assembly of Türkiye on behalf of the Turkish Nation and this right is inalienable.
The Grand National Assembly of Türkiye shall be composed of six hundred (600) deputies directly elected from 81 provinces and 87 electoral districts in total.
As per Article 87 of the Constitution, the duties and powers of the Grand National Assembly of Türkiye have been stated as follows:
- Enacting, amending and repealing laws,
- Debating and adopting the Budget Bills and the Final Account Bills,
- Deciding on issuing currency,
- Deciding on the declaration of war,
- Approving the ratification of international treaties,
- Deciding on granting general amnesty and pardon,
- Exercising the powers and carrying out the duties foreseen in the other articles of the Constitution.
In other articles of the Constitution, the following duties and authorities have been granted to the Grand National Assembly of Türkiye:
- Amending the Constitution,
- Scrutinizing the government,
- Approving developmental plans,
- Adopting the Rules of Procedure of the Grand National Assembly of Türkiye,
- Approving, amending and rejecting presidential decrees of state of emergency,
- Approving a decision on a state of emergency, extending their duration to not exceed four months at every turn, and removing a state of emergency.
- Electing the Speaker and the Bureau members of the Grand National Assembly of Türkiye,
- Electing the Chief Ombudsperson,
- Electing three (3) members of the Constitutional Court out of fifteen (15),
- Electing the members of the Supreme Council of Radio and Television,
- Electing the President and the members of the Court of Accounts,
- Electing seven (7) members of the Council of Judges and Prosecutors out of thirteen (13),
- Deciding to renew the election of the Grand National Assembly of Türkiye and the President of the Republic prematurely,
- Impeachment of the President of the Republic, Deputies of the President of the Republic, and Ministers,
- Lifting parliamentary immunity,
- Deciding on the loss of membership,
- Permitting the deployment of Turkish Armed Forces abroad and admitting the presence of foreign armed forces in Türkiye,
- Scrutinizing public economic enterprises.
- Electing the members of the Board of the Protection of Personal Data (this authority of the Grand National Assembly stands on the Law on the Protection of Personal Data)